Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Crazed DVR


The DVR went crazy last Friday night. I set it up to record the season premiere of Monk, which turned out to be a better episode than most of the previous two seasons. I didn’t watch the program until Saturday night. By then I discovered that the DVR didn’t shut off after the hour-long Monk episode. It kept recording all night, not only on the USA Network but also on the USA high definition channel.

Consequently, the malfunction wiped out everything I had saved earlier, primarily about 20 TCM movies. Initially I became quite angry at the technological glitch. But putting it in perspective, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. My wife thought maybe even the Lord was behind it.

After a 10-hour workday my customary evening ritual usually involves watching a movie or other recorded program as a way to “relax.” Although the content is good (“classic” movies), the choices available on the DVR also can hold me hostage to the TV. Now I actually might have to do more of other activities, like praying and talking to my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment