Thursday, August 19, 2010

So Long, 10-Hour Days


Today is the last day I plan to work a 10-hour day at my job. I’ve been working four-day weeks for the past eight-plus years. Starting next week, it will be 8½ hours Mondays through Thursdays and six hours on Fridays.

I’ll miss having Fridays off. Those three-day weekends are nice. But it makes the rest of the week tiresome, especially the older I get. And the main activity of my Fridays “off” all these years has been to do freelance writing, so I really haven’t had many three-day weekends.

The impetus for making the change is that I’ve lost my primary freelance gig. After 16 years of writing a dozen or more articles a year for a certain publication, that weekly is going a new direction. I’m relieved, really.

It means I’ll have my evenings back. Now, instead of getting home around 6, I’ll be home by 4:30. My wife and I will have time to maybe actually exercise in the evenings. She’ll be able to prepare a nice dinner once in awhile before it feels like bedtime. And, perhaps most importantly, we’ll have more time for ministry.

For the past five-plus years my long-suffering wife has been working the same schedule I’ll be switching to next week. But she has stayed an extra 90 minutes Mondays through Thursdays waiting for me to finish my job, so that we only have to drive one vehicle. I imagine this switch will give her an energy boost, too.

Meanwhile, I plan to limit freelance writing to Christianity Today. But I’m not going to be doing freelance work every evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment