Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Very Good Life


Tuesday I attended the funeral of my brother’s mother-in-law in York, Neb. In her 96 years and two days on this earth, Leora Law embodied the attributes that many of us strive for, but few of us attain.

I knew Leora for the 46 years my brother has been married. In that time, I never saw her ruffled. She never complained. She was never cross. She never said a harsh word about anyone, to their face or behind their back.

There was no putting on airs with Leora. She had no mood swings depending on circumstances. She enjoyed every day, whether good or bad. Leora had the big picture in mind, and didn’t allow the petty grievances of daily living that sabotage most of us to get her down.

Most impressively, Leora kept a great attitude in her advanced years, when she could no longer walk, see well or hear that great. Just being around family and friends was enough of a reward to keep on going.

Leora’s death allowed my wife and me to spend several days with my brother Dave, his wife Betty, and their daughter Catharine. We spent much time together crying, laughing, sharing meals, playing games and enjoying each other’s company. Making the most of life’s simple pleasures is a lesson Leora lived well.

No comments:

Post a Comment