Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Joining the Smartphone Set

finally gave in earlier this month and purchased a Smartphone. I long resisted, figuring I didn’t need one. But in taking a couple of trips, one a vacation and the other for business, it sure came in handy. Instead of a map I pulled out the phone. I didn’t need a phonebook to figure out what restaurants were located on my route. And checking Facebook and email accounts on my phone proved satisfying, especially considering I gave up a laptop years ago. The danger with any technology is becoming so enamored with it that we miss out on real human interaction. That’s what happened to my wife and me. We spent evenings sitting side-by-side poking away at laptop keyboards, never communicating with each other. We ditched the laptops. Of course there is a similar temptation with a Smartphone and all its available apps. I have friends and acquaintances that can’t make it through a lunch or a church service without repeatedly checking their handheld device. Thankfully I’m somewhat technologically challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment