Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Driven to Distraction


On a recent three-day trip to Northern California I had the pleasure of navigating amidst millions of cars in and around San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento. Sure, bottlenecks appeared every once in awhile, but overall the experience proved satisfying. Golden State drivers know how to drive.

California motorists are aggressive, but not rude. They drive the speed limit (or slightly above), merge in a timely manner and signal their intentions.

Then I had to come back to Springfield, Mo., which I believe must have the worst drivers in the United States. Seemingly every day on the way to work, a driver will sit at a stop sign for a few seconds, then pull out of front of me and drive 20 miles an hour. Drivers fail to get into the intersection when turning left, leaving me stranded for another round at a red light. They stop while on an interstate ramp. On a one-way street they turn left from the middle lane. They drive on frosty mornings without even scraping a peep hole in their windshield.

The list goes on and on, but I’ll quit whining. Maybe all the street and highway improvements in and around Springfield will make for a better motoring experience. I am grateful not to live in the one place with even worse drivers: Branson.

No comments:

Post a Comment