Monday, March 15, 2010

Technology Vacation


I took a technology vacation on my trip to Israel last week. No computer, no cell phone.

The schedule looked packed, and I didn’t want to miss anything either because I was too busy catching up with daily contacts back in the States.

Actually, I traded in my laptop for a larger desktop computer last year. At this stage in my life (and my eyesight), visibility is more important than portability. I don’t take that many trips anymore, and whatever writing or correspondence I need to do usually can wait.

I’ve never felt the need to have an iPod in my pocket. I’m not an executive who needs to constantly be in touch with what’s going on. I think a lot overdo it. I see co-workers at weekly chapel services seemingly unable to not answer an e-mail when they’re supposed to be singing a worship song or praying.

So, in Israel, I took a break from all the work deadlines, checking the news and staying in touch with friends. This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I didn’t want to miss it because I was too busy with the routine of keeping everyone else informed of my status in life.

Some other journalists on the trip posted reports and photos on Facebook and Twitter every day. I decided to wait until I returned. I don’t imagine anyone will be too disappointed that I didn’t give an hour-by-hour report at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment