Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Empty Nest Redux


In the span of two weeks, our home has gone from two boarders to none. Once again, my wife and I are empty nesters. Although we didn’t see our two live-in sons all that much, having them gone makes for a much different atmosphere.

I doubt if moving back home will be an option for either of the departed offspring anymore. After three return bouts, 26-year-old Jesse is married and living in Wisconsin with his wife. Zach also has flown the coop again after a seven-month stretch in his old bedroom. We invited Zach back to save money during his senior year of college, but after two years of living on his own, trying to mesh with old fogies didn’t set too well with him. He’s back to apartment living.

So, now it’s just my wife and me, with the aging dog and even more ancient bird. I’m looking forward to devoting myself more to my mate of 32½ years.

We spent the other night filling up the empty bedroom that Zach had vacated. Within a couple of hours, we had hauled furniture, videos, records, books, games, paint cans, suitcases and wrapping paper into the room. These items had been stuffed into closets, the garage and elsewhere.

We enjoy having the less-cluttered house to ourselves, but our guest suite is always open to treasured friends and family who visit from out of town

No comments:

Post a Comment