Monday, February 14, 2011

Spying on Others


I’m not so sure about this trend of putting everything about ourselves online. There are enough websites around trying to divulge information about us that we really wish others wouldn’t know.

I stumbled the other day on an Internet site that purportedly shows information about anyone. I looked myself up and there was a picture of my house, with the garage door open, no less. Yet not all the data were right. The listed value of my house was $15,000 less than I paid for it 12 years ago. And residents listed included my oldest son, who moved out when he married nine years ago, plus his wife, who never has lived with us.

It seems technological snooping has its limitations. Yet this website told me for a monthly fee of $2.95 I could find out the estimated income and hobbies of whomever I want to search for, plus see photos and videos of them.

All this sharing of information that is highly guarded as private in our society only seems to stir up jealousy. If I find out that my friend lives in a house valued at twice my property, or that my co-worker earns $25,000 more than me, I’m focused on the wrong things.

No comments:

Post a Comment