Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Fun Down the Highway

In the past, every time I’ve visited Silver Dollar City near Branson, Mo., it’s been for my own enjoyment. There are plenty of shows, rides, food and shops to keep a middle-aged guy entertained. But recently my wife, Patty, and I took our granddaughter to the theme park for her first visit. As a result, I found a whole new reason to appreciate the family-friendly attraction that is located less than an hour south of my house, amid the rolling hills and trees of the Ozarks. I never had spent time in the Grand Exposition area of the park before, but Lael, who is about to turn 3, found the place fascinating. Lael rode in the Happy Frogs, Ladybugs, Elephant March, Grand Exposition Coaster, Racing Regetta, Wings of Wonder, Royal Tea Party and even the Mighty Galleon. These are all age-appropriate rides, some of which she could enjoy by herself, some accompanied by Grandma or Papa.
Lael had no qualms about riding the American Plunge log ride with me. We also hung out at Geyser Gulch, where there are net mazes to climb through, water guns to squirt and air balls to shoot. We also found time to take a trip on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line steam train, walk across a swinging bridge and ride a carousel before Lael conked out from eight hours of nonstop fun. With the Christian values established by brothers Jack and Pete Herschend, Silver Dollar City remains a safe and enjoyable place to spend a wonderful day. Employees are routinely friendly and helpful. The whole experience reminded me of a time of innocence that our nation sorely misses. The Herschend brothers say the Silver Dollar City mission is to “create memories worth repeating.” With my family, they certainly succeeded.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I sure loved SDC as a kid and I love it more now as a Mommy. This, however, was the first year we simply could not afford admission, yet alone the season passes we have enjoyed in past years. It is a great park and I am so glad you are getting to see it with a whole new set of eyes.

    ReplyDelete