Thursday, July 5, 2012

Respecting Our Leaders

I continue to be amazed at the number of Americans who disrespect the president. Disagreement is a hallmark of democracy, but those taking to the Internet to rant are doing more than objecting to policies. They tell malicious lies and spread false rumors. I’ve been disappointed in the Obama presidency; I had high hopes for him when he entered office. But no matter what I think of him, I’m not going to trash him in public.
Scripture commands Christians to respect their rulers. Titus 3:1-2 says, “Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.” The Bible also tells followers of Christ to pray for those in authority over them. In 1 Timothy 2:1-2, the Apostle Paul states, “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” Many of my churchgoing friends disregard such commands. Isn’t asking God to help our national leader make wise, moral decisions more Christ-like than praying for his failure or demise?
I remember more than 30 years ago when I worked at a grocery store in Columbia during college. A co-worker shared the news with another that President Reagan had just been shot. The two young men stocking shelves exchanged high fives. The action revolted me. I hadn’t voted for Reagan, but such disrespect grieved me. Compassion for a leader’s life should always come before political persuasion. Alas, the ignorance of the masses has only increased as radio talk-show hosts spew venom about those with whom they disagree. The vitriolic climate today foments hostility. No matter what I think of a person, I don’t wish him or her harm.

1 comment:

  1. What a joy it is to know you, John! I couldn't agree more with your thoughtful, repectful and inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete