Thursday, May 20, 2010

Marketing Savvy


I must hand it to Ruby Tuesday’s. A couple of years ago, just as the economy began to tank, the mid-level-price restaurant chain began an aggressive coupon campaign to get customers in the door in order to stay in business. The approach has worked. Whenever my wife and I dine there, which is once or twice a month, the place is nearly full. That wasn’t the case in early 2008.

Ruby’s has been sending me $10 coupons for the past couple of years. Essentially a couple dining out can get one full-course meal for free, or nearly free. The coupons have come in the local and national newspapers, direct mail and e-mail. The saturation marketing strategy has worked. Customers, especially middle-aged diners like me, love a bargain.

Kohl’s is another company that has adopted the strategy, blitzing my computer and mailbox with too-good-to-miss offers on shoes, suitcases, dinnerware and clothes. Other corporations would be wise to follow the plan of Ruby’s and Kohl’s if they want to stay in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment