Thursday, May 27, 2010

Putting Things Together



This spring I’ve been amazed at how my son and my remodeler have put things together. Both are artists and craftsmen.

Zach is a music composition major at Drury University. At a recital in May, students performed two pieces he had created. It amazed me that a son of mine has such a musical gift. I can play notes on a trumpet and carry a tune, but how can he put together a score featuring piccolos, vibraphone, celesta and glockenspiel? Then do another composition incorporating flutes, clarinet, violins, guitar, cellos and double bass. It’s beyond me how his mind works like that. Indeed it’s God’s gift.

Equally impressive is the job that Melvin Hopke is doing at my house. How he can knock out a linen closet, toilet and shower and make hallways that connect exactly to the new addition. How carpenters, roofers, electricians, plumbers, drywallers can come in one after the other and with precision create a new living space with great precision. That’s something incomprehensible to my non-mechanical mind.

Of course some people have told me they have no aptitude for writing. That’s one of the few artistic endeavors that comes naturally to me. If God hadn’t granted that gift, I don’t know what I would be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment