Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bye to ‘Big Steve’


I won’t be picking up “Big Steve” tonight en route to our weekly Bible study, as has been my custom for more than a year. Steve Wade was found dead this morning in his apartment. I will miss him.

I’ve known Steve for several years, since his days of living on the streets not all that long ago. Steve shattered some myths I had about homeless people. He had a good sense of humor, including about his hefty weight. Steve was happy-go-lucky, independent and someone who lived simply and cared little about material possessions.

At home group, where he was a faithful fixture every Tuesday night, Steve offered insights on poverty that the rest of us didn’t have. Despite living many of his final years with only what he had in a backpack, Steve felt blessed by God in multiple ways. He always was willing to read Scripture, and was grateful that he recently had obtained a new multi-translation Bible.

Sadly, at age 50, Steve is no longer with us. He really had made strides in stability since moving into an apartment complex. He had plans to lose weight by bicycling, and he was saving money to buy a car. But, happily, he is in a better place no longer encumbered by the troubles of this world.

2 comments:

  1. This is sad news. I'm glad to have known Steve-- he was a cool guy and really sincere. He challenged my preconceived notions about the homeless too. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve always talked to little Lael when we brought her to church with us. I feel sad and well will miss him.

    ReplyDelete