Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sorry I Missed Mom Passing


I received a phone call Friday night from a nurse at the care facility where my 94-year-old mother had lived for the past 13 months, asking for permission to administer a narcotic pain reliever. The nurse explained that my mom had uncharacteristically been complaining about stomach pains—and that my mom had told her she was dying.

Early Saturday morning I received another call from the nursing home predicting that my mom would be gone within the hour. An hour later the news came true.

My mom had been in hospice care for a year and a half. A physical examination a few months back revealed that she had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. While the condition didn’t cause discomfort in daily living, a nurse warned that it could cause sudden death. My mom was too old and feeble for surgical relief.

Although I live in the same city as my mom, I was half a country away on a reporting assignment. I couldn’t be there with my mom as she lay dying. Thankfully she went peacefully.

I’m glad I visited her Wednesday evening before I flew to West Virginia Thursday morning. At the time she said she thought she might live to 100; I told her that, having just celebrated her 94th birthday, six years was a long way off.

Thankfully, my wife and my kind Uncle Joe got to visit Mom when she was still lucid just after the administering of the pain medication. Joe, a spry 87 years old, recently had a successful operation for the same condition that proved fatal to my mom.

My dad sensed imminent death soon before he died of congestive heart failure 10 years ago. Sadly, I was traveling at the time and couldn’t be with him at the end.
I’m grateful to the nursing home staff and hospice care staff that made her final months comfortable and engaging as possible for someone who only left her bed for meals. They truly helped extend her life and make it more enjoyable.

Although Mescal Kennedy’s death was hardly unexpected, the timing caught me off guard because she seemed as normal as ever the day before. We should never take anything for granted. I’m glad I made the Wednesday evening visit.

3 comments:

  1. John, I know how hard it is to lose a parent. I liked you Mom a lot. It is not always easy to be there when they die and it is just as hard to be gone when they go.

    She is now celebrating God and reunited with her loved ones. I pray God comforts you with loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, So sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. My Dad passed suddenly last year without any warning symptoms. That can be such a shock. May the promise of the resurrection comfort you in your sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Your reminder not to take anything for granted is needed. I am sorry that you lost your mother and father when you were unable to be present, but as you said, thankful that there were others their to care for her.

    May God nourish you with the memories of her life and comfort you in her death.

    ReplyDelete