Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Eating Right for Your Blood Type


Years ago I gave up ingesting the bad stuff: apple fritters, soda pop, pepperoni pizza, ice cream. Nevertheless, despite a moderate amount of exercise, I’ve managed to gain an average of a pound or two a year for awhile to the point where I’m 20 pounds over my recommended healthy weight.

I’ve tried to eat the right stuff, according to what the health and nutrition experts tell me. I’ve loaded up on foods containing whole grains, tomatoes, raw nuts and pomegranates. Now, a book by a naturopathic physician and researcher that my wife picked up recently, informs me that those wonder foods are anathema because I’m a B-positive blood type.

In great detail, “Eat Right 4 Your Type” by Peter J. D’Adamo contends that we aren’t healthy and we don’t lose weight because we’re eating the wrong foods for our makeup. Certain foods for certain people don’t digest well and thus are likely to add the pounds. So, Patty and I are embarking on a new eating plan with this premise: eat the foods deemed beneficial, avoid the foods that are toxic.

So I’ll be saying goodbye to some of my favorite foods: crab, shrimp, lobster, sea bass, cashews, shredded wheat. Some of those foods that are supposedly great for me I don’t like, such as rice cakes, horseradish and licorice.

Patty is an O blood type and finding foods that boost both of us will be a challenge. Looks like we’ll be having a lot of cod and sweet potato dinners. But I’ll be able to partake of many good foods I’ve avoided, including cottage cheese, pineapple and yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. Chris followed the blood-type diet for about a year. He didn't eat any red meat the whole time. I tried it for a short while, but like Patty, I'm a type O. That means no popcorn. :( I didn't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard of this before & was really interested. i wonder if my library has the book. ryan & i are the same type so it might be do-able (if he agrees to it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, Redeemed Music and Books (at Republic Rd. and south National) has the book, probably for around $6.00. That's where we got ours.

    ReplyDelete