Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Loss of Power


The electricity inexplicably went out at 8:15 last Thursday night at my house, in the neighborhood and indeed, I later found out, for miles around. Just a summer power outage on a calm night without any storms.

Naturally, a 21st century American reacts with indignation when the house goes dark. What an inconvenience to be deprived of the ballgame on the TV or chatting on my computer! Or, in my case, to be deprived of the book I had just settled down to read. Even with several candles going it proved too dim to see.

The power failure showed me how dependent I am on electricity. Seemingly I can’t eat, learn or communicate without devices plugged into an outlet to help me along.

But the darkness also provided a welcome respite. There in the stillness of the night, without even the time on the clock glowing or the refrigerator humming, I had time to pray to the One who is the ultimate power source, the Creator of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment