Thursday, June 10, 2010

Living Long


I took a work-related health survey a few weeks ago. After answering a bunch of questions about my lifestyle, the computer figured I’d live to be 90 years old. This is based on such factors as me not smoking, not boozing it up every night, staying away from fast food for the most part, exercising regularly and the fact that my mom is already 92. Apparently baby fat is not a hindrance.

Of course predicting longevity is a bit of a crapshoot. I could get run over crossing the street. Or I might die from a cancer caused by what is in the water that I drink or the air that I breathe. The chemicals on the food I buy at grocery stores or in restaurants might do me in. Or I could get some dreaded leg or foot ailment and not be able to go walking weekday mornings anymore.

We try to increase our odds of sticking around. While much of our wellness is beyond our control, we can take measures to improve the probability of living longer: eating healthy foods, not being a couch potato all the time, reducing or eliminating the pharmaceuticals in our bodies, using non-toxic products to apply to our face, head and underarms.

The biggest threat is bigness. It’s a constant struggle to keep those extra pounds off as I age. But that extra cellulite in the gut is a great risk to cause a heart attack or stroke. There may be something more important than sticking around a long time: taking care of myself so that I feel well during my remaining years.

No comments:

Post a Comment