Thursday, June 24, 2010

Smoked Out


I had an unpleasant experience recently when my wife and I went to Texas Roadhouse for the first time in many months. Oh, the food was great. But I had a difficult time enjoying it. Cigarette smoke kept wafting into my nostrils and lungs.

When I inquired, the server explained that smoking is allowed in the bar, which is a big open area in the middle of the restaurant. There are no exhaust fans.

So the next day I called up the city health department. After all, Springfield passed a restaurant smoking ordinance a few years ago that allowed smoking only where alcohol sales are hefty, and separate ventilation systems were required. But it turns out the code is pretty toothless. For example, eateries that seat less than 50 get a free pass. And there is an exemption for restaurants that sell $200,000 or more in alcohol a year. No separate seating area or ventilation system required.

Missouri is one of only a dozen states not to regulate restaurant smoking. I guess medical studies that show cigarette smoke, even secondhand smoke, can kill you aren’t enough to force laws that would protect patrons from those who seemingly can’t last an hour without lighting up. I really feel sorry for the non-smoking servers who have to work in these conditions.

Patty and I also have tried eating outdoors at a couple of restaurants, but few have any restrictions there. I guess if smoke is outside somehow it’s not unhealthy. Meanwhile, we’ll stick to those establishments that ban or restrict puffing to certain areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment