Thursday, November 18, 2010

The New Job Normal


I’ve heard several friends recently complain about the workload they face in their jobs. As companies struggle to survive in a tough economy, it’s more commonplace for businesses, whether in manufacturing, retail or office jobs, to require employees to do the work of more than one person.

Certainly this is as true in journalism as anywhere else. Numerous magazines and newspapers have folded even after multiple layoffs. Where I work, the staff that numbered 14 a few years ago has shrunk to 10. I used to have two full-time writers at my disposal; now it’s just me. Although I have the option of freelancing some writing, I handle much of the workload myself. This has resulted in less time for research, and in not doing as thorough a job as before. It’s not uncommon not to have a free moment during the workday. To keep from stressing out too much, I still take lunch every day and try not to miss an afternoon walk.

In lean times it’s better to be grateful rather than bitter about work. Millions of people in this country have been looking for employment for months, with no success. The new normal is to do the job, even if it’s exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment