Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting Rights and Wrongs


I tried to vote this morning. But after standing in a line that didn’t move for the first 15 minutes after the polling place opened came word that precinct workers couldn’t get the machines to work — and county officials wouldn’t allow an alternative. Instead of waiting for a technician to show up, I came to work.

Perhaps that was fitting, considering I had debated whether to bother to vote at all. I’ve pretty much avoided the mudslinging TV commercials, newspaper advertisements and mailed circulars of the past several months. I was interested in a couple of races, not because I was enamored with one of the particular candidates, but rather because I was so appalled at their opponents.

I’ve always been one of those guys who has viewed the importance of voting in a democracy as a fundamental privilege. I became frustrated with my sons when they didn’t see the value of going to the polls to change our society for the better.

Now I see their point. Exercising my vote really won’t change democracy one iota.

The pollsters predict a huge shift in the makeup of Congress by tonight. That seems to be the election cycle norm anymore. But what will it actually accomplish? As has been evident in the past generation, even if the Republicans are able to pass curbs on abortion or gay rights, an activist judge will come along and invalidate them.

Call me a cynic, but it seems as though the overwhelming majority of people elected to federal office really don’t get much accomplished. Once ensconced in Washington, D.C., they fall under the sway of powerful lobbyists who represent everything from teacher unions to gun owners. The concerns of those living back in the district fade away as lawmakers become enthralled with their power. Those Tea Party activists who take office in January soon will be consumed with getting re-elected.

Trusting in political process is naive. Elected officials aren’t going to be our salvation.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right that politicians are not going to be our salvation, but the lack of interest and interaction will in time lead to a tyrannical government. The tea party movement was about getting new blood into government in hopes that people that were not so entrenched in the process would hold on to their integrity. I too have been frustrated as is everyone, but I'm afraid of what will happen if we don't stay involved in the process.

    Personally I am relieved that we now have some balance back in the house and the senate. I think our government runs best when they are more equal in numbers. You are right, not much will get done, but if something that comes up that they can agree on, which is best for everyone....something will get done and the majority of the country will be happy with it. Sometimes the status quo is best when there isn't agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of the Edmund Burke quote: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. What we see in the success of abortion rights, gay rights, etc. is that those who support these issues are unrelenting, constantly campaigning, on the offense, and untiring in their efforts to push through their agenda. I think we need to take a "page from their book."

    For Christians to believe their participation is useless and to give up on the process, is the best hope of the enemy. In my view, its our duty as a Christian citizen to do one's best to be informed on issues and candidates, which requires time and effort; to exercise the privilege and obligation of a citizen to vote; and to pray daily for our elected officials that they govern and write laws that reflect justice, compassion, and concern for all persons.

    We must not become discouraged but become as determined to prevail as the enemy is. I think we owe that to our children and our grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete